What to do with your baby and the first few weeks?

After the baby is born, it has to be brought from the hospital or maternity center. And when you bring your baby home, you may not know what to do next, especially if you're a new parent. It can be difficult, but there is always someone to help. This article has information to help you through those first weeks. It covers health checks, support and services for your baby and government paperwork you need to do. 

What to do with your baby and the first few weeks?

Health info

What are the signs of a healthy baby? Check out 8 signs of a healthy baby

Five Common Symptoms of a Healthy Pregnancy

When should a child be vaccinated?

Pain free normal delivery how and why?

Bringing your newborn home

Bringing your baby home is a joyous event, but leaving these supports at the hospital or birthing center behind can be daunting.

You may also find that breastfeeding is difficult or you may feel isolated, especially if you don't have friends and family around.

Whatever your concerns, there are services to help with those first days and weeks at home.

For the first few days, a midwife may come to your home every day There are also telephone services you can call day or night, such as the parent helpline in your province or territory and the national emergency service number.

Your local child health clinic is also an excellent source of information about diet and health. Clinics offer support and run groups for new parents, sometimes in languages other than English.

Many women still feel tearful, overwhelmed and/or anxious 3 to 5 days after giving birth. This is called the baby blues and is caused by rapid changes in hormone levels after birth. If these feelings last more than a few days and they get worse, talk to your doctor or child health nurse. While this is not unusual, keep in mind that these feelings can be a sign of postpartum depression.

What paperwork do I need to do?

A new baby means lots of paperwork to prepare and forms to fill out. You will need to register your baby's birth and name, enroll your baby in Medicare and arrange for government benefits if you qualify.

The hospital or midwife will give you a parent pack, which will include most of the forms you need to fill out. An important form of this pack is the newborn baby declaration. You will need this form to enroll your child in Medicare and to apply for parental leave pay or other government benefits.

A form to register your child in My Health Record is also included in this parent pack. My Health Record is a digital health record that allows you to share your health information with health care providers if you choose.

Health services and support are available to families who have migrated to Australia or come to Australia as refugees. If you need help with Medicare services in your language, call Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) on 131 450.

What is a child health record?

You will be given a book called a Child Health Record shortly after your baby is born.

This book records important information about your baby, including their growth, immunizations and any health problems. Depending on which province or territory you live in, the book may be blue, purple, red, green or yellow.

What health tests will my baby need?

Your baby will need regular health check-ups in the first few months.

The child health nurse at your local child health center or your doctor (GP) can carry out these check-ups for your baby, usually at 2, 4 and 6 weeks after birth. The nurse will ask how your baby is doing and if you have any concerns.

In most provinces or territories, your baby's first child health appointment will be at your home. Your hospital or birthing center will arrange this visit.

You can also ask the nurses at the Child Health Center or your doctor about anything else that concerns you. It's a good idea to write down your questions before the check-up so you don't forget anything you want to ask.

Child health nurse services are available free of charge to families with children up to pre-school age.

When your baby is 6 weeks old, you should have a full health check-up with a GP or paediatrician. This check may also contain their first vaccinations.

Newborn Resources and Support

Every country in the world has many sources of information and support, often available 7 days a week. For example, if we consider the country of Australia, its citizens have the following nascent resources and support:

You can talk to your GP or early childhood health nurse.

The Pregnancy, Birth and Children section provides further information and support. You can speak to a maternal and child health nurse by phone or video call on 1800 882 436.

The healthdirect Service Finder can help you find your nearest health service and hospital.

You can call the Australian Breastfeeding Association National Breastfeeding Helpline on 1800 726 306.

If you think you have postpartum depression and anxiety call PANDA on 1300 726 306 for help.

You can contact your province or territory's parent helpline

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.